Racial Justice Project
The Racial Justice Project (RJP) is dedicated to advancing racial equity through education and justice work inside Trinity and in our Asbury Park community. We were founded in 2015 at Trinity.
What We Do
You can check out our current and past events at bit.ly/racialjustice-trinitychurchap.
In Fall 2015, Derek and Liza Minno Bloom, Gail Bennet, and Maureen Shaffer joined our collective strengths to found the Racial Justice Project. In one year, the Racial Justice Project educated nearly 500 people through:
- 11 watch/read-and-discuss roundtables, 30% at external sites including Second Baptist
- 4 new workshops, including
- “Is It Racist? A Pop Culture Summer Series” – a three-part series covering Native American mascots, Hispanics in film and media, and celebrity protests in Black community
- “Interrupting the –ISMs” with role plays
- A 2.5-day conference, Sacred Conversations for Racial Justice, drawing more than 50 non-Trinity folks to our campus for multiple days
We continued in 2017 with a highly successful social justice movie and speaker series, drawing more than 700 attendees through partnerships with Second Baptist Church, Garden State Equality, Islamic Society of Monmouth County, and the Shabazz Center as well as faculty from Monmouth University and Georgian Court.
Our goal is to build people’s capacity to take action at multiple levels in support of our mission.
Liza Minno Bloom, Derek Minno Bloom, Mary Jane Dodd, Joanie McCoy, Adrienne Wert, Chris Rapaglia, Maureen Shaffer, and Deacon Gail Bennett are volunteers who comprise the Racial Justice Project at Trinity Episcopal Church.
Volunteer with the Racial Justice Project:
We meet monthly on the second Tuesday from 5:00pm-6:30pm in the Trinity Undercroft (basement). There is a nursery, and typically two children of the RJP are there. We welcome folks who are grounded in the definition of Racism = Prejudice + Power and that Justice is more powerful than charity! You can reach us at Derek@trinitynj.com or by texting Derek at 215-820-3444.